Mock Tuna Salad
When I started to include more vegan meals in my diet I would crave a tuna sandwich once in a while. This mock tuna salad met my expectations for the craving I was looking for. I love wrapping it in Nori sheet instead of using bread. It's also delicious to eat with a chopped cucumber and tomato salad.
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (any bean of choice can work)
3 tablespoons hummus (oil free hummus is recommended)
1 teaspoon Dijon or spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup diced red onion or any onion you have (if no onion use ½ tsp onion powder)
¼ cup diced celery
¼ cup diced pickle (optional)
Black pepper to taste
1. Place the drained chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a fork, leaving only a few beans whole.
2. In a separate bowl mix together your seasonings: apple cider vinegar, hummus, mustard, red onion, celery, and pepper.
3. Pour the bowl of mashed chickpeas into the bowl of seasonings and mix all ingredients together well.
Fun ways to eat this salad:
1. Wrapped in Nori instead of tortilla
2. Use purple cabbage wedges or romaine lettuce hearts as “chips” to scoop out the salad
3. On a piece of toasted whole grain Ezekiel bread
4. Use celery sticks to scoop out salad instead of crackers